[GRAND RAPIDS, MI] – Kent Companies recently awarded seven Make it Happen Scholarship Awards to the children of full-time Kent Companies employees. 2019 marks the fifth year for the program, which has awarded over $40,000 in scholarship support to date.
2019 Scholarship Recipients:
- Miriam Arvizu Mancilla, daughter of Francisco Arvizu. Miriam is studying social work at Eastern Michigan University.
- Makenzie Kersh, daughter of Melissa Kersh. Makenzie is studying nursing at Tarleton State University.
- Mackenzie Freeman, daughter of Victor and Wanda Freeman. Mackenzie is studying geology at the University of Oklahoma.
- Fany Flores, daughter of Jonas Flores. Fany is studying biomedical science at Advent Health University.
- Elizabeth Veneklasen, daughter of Bill Veneklasen. Elizabeth is studying medical laboratory science at Grand Valley State University.
- Crystal Rodriguez, daughter of Sergio Rodriguez. Crystal is studying nursing at Angelo State University.
- Sarah Shafer, daughter of Phil Shafer. Sarah is studying to be a veterinary technician at Michigan State University.
The Make it Happen Scholarship Program is a benefit for the families of full-time Kent Companies employees. The scholarship application is a competitive, merit-based process, following the merit shop philosophy that Kent Companies upholds on its job sites. Scholarship applications are available to students pursuing trade school, technical certification or a traditional college degree.
Kent Companies CEO Jeff VanderLaan shared, “We are extremely proud of all our applicants and their achievements. Kent Companies will always be the best place for those who work hard and seek to improve their knowledge and hone their craft. Our employees are instilling these same values in their own families. We’re confident each one of these students will find great success on their unique career path.”
About Kent Companies:
Kent Companies is a 3rd-generation family-owned business with expertise in commercial and industrial construction, mixed-use construction, multi-family housing, tilt-up concrete, post-tensioned cast in place structures and a full range of concrete-related specialties.
Kent Companies is headquartered in Grand Rapids, Michigan and has operations in Detroit, Michigan; Dallas and Austin, Texas; central Ohio; Charlotte, North Carolina and St. Louis, Missouri. Kent Companies employs over 1,500 concrete construction professionals nationwide, and the organization is ranked in the top 12 concrete contractors nationwide by ENR Magazine. The Kent Companies team has built a reputation as “Leaders in Concrete.”