Para leer este boletín en Español, abra el mensaje en su navegador y seleccione “Español” en el menú de idioma. En su teléfono, desplácese hasta la parte inferior para buscar el menú de idioma y seleccione “Español.”
Make it Happen Scholarships – Now Accepting Applications
The Make it Happen Scholarship program is another way we give back to the Kent family. Each year, scholarships are awarded to students who demonstrate the highest level of integrity and commitment to pursuing their goals for their career. Applicants must be the legal dependent child of a full time Kent Companies employee and be under the age of 26. Applicants must be enrolled full time in college or a tech/trade school. Click here to apply for the Make it Happen Scholarship. Deadline: March 31st.
Unum Open Enrollment – Now through April 1
Unum is our voluntary life and accidental death and dismemberment plan. Open enrollment is from 2/1/19 to 4/1/19. During open enrollment, you can enroll in new coverage or make changes to your existing coverage. Contact Human Resources for signup forms and details about these benefits.
Grand Prize & Wild Card Winners Announced!
Congratulations to our weekly winners:
- Week 1: Fredy Martinez, Larry Mills
- Week 2: Lee Blackmon, Erik Lokers
- Week 3: Laura Armstrong, Jim Andrisco, Carlos Flores
- Week 4: Jake Smit, Ulises Cortez
Grand Prize Winner: Jim Andrisco – Kent Companies Southeast
Jim’s hand grinder video demonstration earned the highest score among all weekly winners. This video earned Jim $500 in cash!
Wild Card Winner: Carlos Flores, Texas Multi-Family Superintendent
Carlos’ video had the most minutes viewed on Facebook and YouTube. He wins $250 cash!
Contact your local safety manager to claim your prize!
The Kent Companies team submitted 41 videos, which resulted in 185 hours of viewing safety content – all created by the field team, for the field team. Go RED!
Division 110 – Studio Park
The Division 110 team poured level five of the canopy; 57,533 SF of cast-in-place deck. An additional 62,000 SF will be complete by April.
Division 110 announces contract awards for 10 Ionia, U.S. Signal and Western Michigan University South Neighborhood Housing. Get ready to Make it Happen!
Division 110 – Project Rapids
Another high production week unfolded at Project Rapids, with five pours totaling 230,000 SF and 3,500 CY of concrete. Superintendent Randy Bergakker credits Phil Shafer, George Najera, Ruben Martinez and their team for making it happen.
Senior Project Manager Jordan Berens reports that the team has placed a total of 855,000 SF of slab on metal deck with 600,000 SF remaining. Over 655,000 SF of slab on grade has been installed, with 195,000 SF scheduled later this month.
Division 1810 – Performance Plus Quick Lube
Harsh winter conditions eroded the elevated slab inside Performance Plus Quick Lube in Cadillac, Michigan. Major Brands Oil turned to Kent Companies for help. The 1810 team provided precise demolition removal of the existing concrete, steel, trench drains and catwalks at ground level and below grade.
Kent’s project management team applied extensive experience in suspended concrete decks to design a safe and cost-effective plan for the removal of the existing slab on metal deck. Additional excavation created space to form and place new concrete footings, foundation walls and slab on grade below the workshop. The team placed and finished a 1,400 square foot elevated slab on metal deck to complete the interior ground-level workshop area.
You’ve Got the Know-How: Blue Print Reading
Kudos to the participants of our recent blue print reading classes taught by COO Dave Schoonbeck. Participants worked in small groups and gained practical, hands-on experience that will help them read and interpret plans. Their commitment to professional development is the RED Code at work!
Stay tuned for more training classes are planned throughout all Kent Companies offices.
Grand Rapids: Craft Training Classes Announced
Craft training classes are now open for all field personnel! You asked for more hands-on training to advance your career, and we have opportunities for you to get started right away. The first set of classes begin February 27th.
- Concrete Foundations
- Concrete Flatwork & Paving
- Shoring & Vertical Formwork
Who should enroll in craft training classes?
- This training is available for all field personnel who want to master the basics of concrete construction and add to their technical skills.
How do I sign up for training classes?
- Click here to access training classes listed on KentCompanies.com.
- Expand the list for Grand Rapids.
- You will see class descriptions and dates.
- Sign up for the classes that will help you improve in the field.
- You must inform your superintendent of your plans to attend each course so they can plan manpower accordingly.
- Courses include 2-4 workshop sessions. By enrolling in the course once, you will be enrolled in all sessions.
- Mark your calendar for all workshops in each course. We’ll also send reminders.
- If you register for a class, you are expected to attend and participate.
- Each class is limited to 20 participants.
Spring 2019 Craft Training Classes:
- Rebar and Post Tension – All classes to be held at Byron Commerce
- Rebar Level 1 – February 27, 2pm to 5pm
- Rebar Level 2 – March 6, 2pm to 5pm
- Post Tension 1 – March 13, 2pm to 5pm
- Post Tension 2 – March 20, 2pm to 5pm
- Concrete Foundations – 60th St. Training Room and Yard
- Footings – Classroom, April 10, 2pm to 5pm
- Footings – Hands On, April 17, 2pm to 5pm
- Walls – Classroom, April 24, 2pm to 5pm
- Walls – Hands On, May 1, 2pm to 5pm
- Concrete Flatwork and Paving – 60th St. Training Room and Yard
- Flatwork/Paving – Classroom, May 8, 2pm to 5pm
- Flatwork/Paving – Classroom and Hands On, May 15, 2pm to 5pm
- Flatwork/Paving – Hands On, May 22, 2pm to 5pm
- Shoring and Vertical Formwork – 60th St. Training Room and Yard
- Shoring: 10k – Classroom and Hands On, May 29, 1pm to 5pm
- Shoring: Loose – Classroom and Hands On, June 5, 1pm to 5pm
- Shoring: Doka – Classroom and Hands On, June 12, 1pm to 5pm (guest speaker – Jason Barber from Doka)
- Vertical Forming – Classroom and Hands On, June 19, 1pm to 5pm
Contact Chris Fennema with questions about these classes or to share ideas for future topics. (email: Chrisf@kentcompanies.com or call 616-534-4909)