A Must-Read Edition for all KCI Team Members
Para leer este boletín en Español, abra el mensaje en su navegador y seleccione “Español” en el menú de idioma. En su teléfono, desplácese hasta la parte inferior para buscar el menú de idioma y seleccione “Español.”
Congratulations to Joe Fedewa on his promotion to Division 110 Superintendent
Executive Vice President Matt Fennema announces the promotion of Joe Fedewa to Division 110 Superintendent. He shared, “Joe displays leadership and integrity in his work and in his interactions with others every day. He’s committed to his craft and to helping others learn and grow. I’m extremely thankful for his contributions, and I know he will help take our team to the next level.”
Fedewa recently helped lead a rebar craft training course with Jose Carillo. They helped ten participants learn critical skills through a combination of classroom and hands-on training. Attendees shared that this class helped them identify rebar size and type with accuracy. They promoted the class as “very informative for beginners.”
CEO Jeff VanderLaan added, “Joe’s willingness to invest his time in others is what makes him stand out as a leader on our team. I applaud Joe for his long-standing commitment to the Four Hallmarks and to continuous improvement. He began his career at Kent Companies as a rebar foreman and as a result of his hard work, he was quickly promoted to Senior Foreman. As a Superintendent, he’ll have an even greater opportunity to positively impact the team. He’s a true example of the opportunities to grow within our organization.”
Click here to congratulate Joe Fedewa on his promotion.
Fennema shared that Division 110 will finalize and announce additional promotions shortly.
Are you looking for a change in your career?
We are currently recruiting a Yard/Shop Laborer in Grand Rapids!
Perform tasks involving accurately filling orders for equipment, tools, formwork, and materials for use by field operations and outside customers. Specific tasks include but are not limited to:
- Safely, accurately, and efficiently process all orders and prepare for shipping by acquiring the needed materials, tools, etc. from company inventory, and notifying the Yard Superintendent of any shortages or discrepancies in a timely manner.
- Properly maintain all equipment and tools so that they are in a safe and reliable working condition and notifying the Lead Mechanic of any such items not meeting performance or safety standards immediately.
- Effectively use company systems and technology to track materials and equipment coming into and leaving the Yard.
- Identify outdated materials and plan for their proper proposal.
- Fulfill internal resteel orders and properly tag for field use.
- Perform snow removal around office and shop area prior to staff arriving in the morning as needed.
- Work outside in the Yard area in all types of weather, along with working in the Shop building as needed.
Additional requirements include:
- Ability to obtain a Chauffeur’s License.
- Ability to be available to start early and work late on a frequent basis.
- Weekend work may be required from time to time.
All applicants will be considered, and training will be provided. If you are interested, please contact Mindy Curtiss or Sarah Miller in Human Resources.
Due March 31st – Make it Happen Scholarships
The Make it Happen Scholarship program is another way we give back to the Kent family. Each year, scholarships are awarded to students who demonstrate the highest level of integrity and commitment to pursuing their goals for their career. Applicants must be the legal dependent child of a full time Kent Companies employee and be under the age of 26. Applicants must be enrolled full time in college or a tech/trade school. Click here to apply for the Make it Happen Scholarship.
Paid Time Off Policy Update
In an effort to create a more efficient way to track paid time off, and comply with upcoming legislation regarding paid time off, Kent Companies announces the following policy updates effective January 1, 2019. Instead of vacation time resetting at an employee’s anniversary date, it now resets at the beginning of every calendar year.
- When your anniversary hits in 2019, you will receive a prorated PTO amount. This amount will be calculated based on your anniversary date to the end of this year (12/31/19).
- You will receive your full PTO amount on January 1 beginning 1/1/2020, and each January thereafter.
- In the first year of employment, paid time off will be calculated based on your hire date (so prorated based on the months you are working that first year).
- 40 hours of paid time off can be carried over into the next year; anything more than that will be paid out after the last paycheck of the year.
- Sick/personal time remains the same and will be adjusted on your anniversary date.
Click here to download the Kent Companies Inc. Paid Time Off Policy.
If you have any questions at all, please contact Mindy Curtiss.
Unum Open Enrollment – Now through April 1
Unum is our voluntary life and accidental death and dismemberment plan. Open enrollment is from 2/1/19 to 4/1/19. During open enrollment, you can enroll in new coverage or make changes to your existing coverage. Contact Human Resources for signup forms and details about these benefits.
Now Forming: Kent Companies Technology Committee
- Do you love new apps…and have ideas about how to improve them?
- Do you want to help fix technology problems we face every day?
- Do you want input on the next generation of field reporting, project management, safety and documentation apps at Kent Companies?
Join the Technology Committee to contribute to the big picture technology plan at Kent Companies. This committee will meet approximately once per month over the next 12-18 months to research, evaluate and prioritize technology needs across the entire Kent Companies organization.
A successful committee has representation from the field, project management and business operations teams. Will you join us?
Email COO Dave Schoonbeck to get involved.
Register Now for Upcoming Craft Training Classes
All field personnel are welcome & encouraged to enroll in craft training.
Important Reminders for ALL Craft Training Sessions:
- You must inform your superintendent of your plans to attend each course so they can plan manpower accordingly.
- Courses often include 2-4 workshop sessions. By enrolling in the course once, you will be enrolled in all sessions.
- If you register for a class, you are expected to attend and participate. A lack of either may result in dismissal from the class.
- Each class is limited to 20-25 participants.
- Post Tension Craft Training – Begins Wednesday, March 13th 2pm-5pm
- Blue Print Reading Part 2: Diving Into the Drawings – Friday, March 15th 2pm-5pm
- Concrete Foundations Craft Training – Begins Wednesday, April 10th 2pm-5pm
- Concrete Flatwork & Paving Craft Training – Begins Wednesday, May 8 2pm-5pm
Contact Chris Fennema with questions about craft training classes.